100Years of Sports and MIZUNO
A Century of sports
The first modern Olympic games were held in Athens, Greece in 1896. Modern sporting events, as we think of them, first gained wide popularity in Europe and the United States around the middle of the 19th century. Western sports came to Japan after the Meiji Restoration (1868) and spread rapidly. In 1912, at the fifth Olympiad, Japan participated in the Olympic Games for the first time. In 1906, around the time modern sporting events began to gain real acceptance in Japan, MIZUNO was founded as MIZUNO Brothers Ltd.”In the century since, MIZUNO has worked steadily toward the development of sports in Japan and throughout the world. In the history of civilization, the last 100 years has marked an age of a rise in sports-through war, conflict and the vicissitudes of politics and economics. It has been a time in which sports have played a role of immeasurable importance to humanity. While tracing the steps that MIZUNO has left in the sporting world over the last century, we wish to look at the vital role that sports have played in society and the decisive role they can play in the future.
- Rihachi Mizuno and his younger brother Rizo found MIZUNO Brothers Ltd. in Osaka. The shop sells western sundries, including baseballs.
- Sales of order-made athletic wear begin.
- The shop moves to Umeda Shinmichi in Osaka and its name is changed to MIZUNO Shop.
- Production of sporting goods is planned.
- Tokyo branch opens.
- MIZUNO Shop begins to manufacture baseballs and gloves.
- Dojima Factory opens. Full-scale production of sporting goods begins.
- MIZUNO calls for standardization of hard baseballs.
- Izuhi and cup marks are registered as MIZUNO trademark.
- MIZUNO begins to sell a variety of products under distinctive names, including “over sweaters,””cutter shirts,””boston bags”and “run pants.”
- Planning for production of golf clubs begins.
- Domestic production of skis begins.
- New headquarters building is completed in Yodoyabashi, Osaka.
- Rihachi Mizuno visits Europe and the United States.
- Star Line, the first Japanese made golf clubs, go on sale.
- Tokyo Itabashi Factory opens.
- Select Scientific Laboratory (today’s Technology Development Division) is established.
- Shanghai MIZUNO Sporting Goods Company, Ltd. is established.
- MIZUNO’s type 301 Soarer glider sets new records for altitude and flight duration.
- Company name is changed to MIZUNO Co., Ltd.
- Yoro Factory opens.
- Rihachi Mizuno receives the Award of Merit from the All Japan HS Baseball Federation.
- Rihachi Mizuno is awarded the Medal with a Blue Ribbon for philanthropy.
- MIZUNO develops and patents an injection-molded, compressed plastic bat.
- MIZUNO is listed on the Second Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
- World’s largest golf factory opens in Yoro.
1st Grand Monarch Golf Tournament is held.
- Rihachi Mizuno is appointed Chairman, and Kenjiro Mizuno President, of MIZUNO Corporation.
America MIZUNO is established in Los Angeles.
- Rihachi Mizuno is inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
- MIZUNO is listed on the First Section of the Tokyo and Osaka stock exchanges.
- MIZUNO golf clubs are enshrined in the American Golf Hall of Fame.
- MIZUNO introduces CIS.
- MIZUNO RunBird Co., Ltd. is established.
- Vanguard drivers, the first golf clubs with carbon heads, go on sale.
RunBird athletic shoes go on sale.
- MIZUNO starts golf workshops in Europe.
- MIZUNO Shop begins to manufacture Sports wears in US.
- 1st MIZUNO Tokyo Open Golf Tournament is held.
MIZUNO Corporation of America is established.
- Ti-110 and Ti-120, the world’s first golf clubs incorporating pure titanium, go on sale.
- MIZUNO shoes sets the100m dash world record(9.86s) in Tokyo.
- MIZUNO Osaka head office is established.
Notus golf clubs go on sale and are a big hit due to a new product plan and a winning marketing strategy.
- MIZUNO Corporation of Hong Kong Ltd., a production management company for the Asian region, begins operations.
- Innovative new heat-retaining material Breath Thermo, go on sale.
- Production of MIZUNO sportswear in China begins.
- MIZUNO develops revolutionary 9-point metal baseball spikes known as Glitter.
MIZUNO develops Cat Plus, running shoes with enhanced forefoot functionality.
- MIZUNO dissolves MIZUNO Corporation of America and establishes a new subsidiary, MIZUNO USA, Inc.
MIZUNO Wave shoes with improved stability and cushioning are developed.
- The MIZUNO Open-Road to the British Open golf tournament at Setonaikai Golf Club.
Baseball glove maker Tsubota receives “Contemporary Master Craftsman”award.
- Products incorporating Ice Touch cooling fabric become a big hit.
- Beyond Max, the industry’s first rubber baseball bat using polyurethane on its surface, goes on sale.
Yoro Factory is reorganized as a subsidiary, MIZUNO Technics Corporation, and meets the environmental target of zero emissions.
- Bat maker Isokazu Kubota receives the Ministry of Labor’s “Contemporary Master Craftsman” award.
- MIZUNO enters into partnership agreement with International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).
- New baseball for professional baseball games goes on sale.
- Brand marks integrated in order to establish a new 100 year brand.
“MIZUNO Victory Clinic” the skill training and lecture by top athletes started.
- MIZUNO China Headquarters established in the suburbs of Shanghai.
“Infinity wave” the sola with new technology is developed for Running shoes.
- Establishes of the MIZUNO Corporation Australia Pty Ltd.
- “PRECISION FIT ONLINE” the online shoe fitting system is developed.
- Signed for Osaka marathon.
- MIZUNO Italy is established by finalizing a contract to take over its Italian distributor, Alto.
- Establishes of the MIZUNO Korea Ltd.